In the present century, internet use is considered essential. However, when habits such as playing computer games, or watching very large numbers of internet videos, such as those on YouTube, are troubling to the extent that these activities interfere with normal life, one needs to check this behaviour.
Check for yourself. For a year or more, have you:
- Felt excited only at the idea of entertainment using internet instead of other activities
- When not using internet, experienced a strong urge to do the same
- Often turned on internet when feeling upset, guilty anxious or sad
- Had problems in one or more important relationships because of long hours of internet use
- Been told by one or more significant people to cut down on internet use
If you agree to most of the above, you may need help. Often, the first step towards changing is recognising that we need help. If you do, we can provide you with strategies that you might employ and change yourself.