Body image refers to how people see themselves. Distorted body image (also called negative body image) refers to an unrealistic view of how someone sees their body. Like eating disorders, it is seen most commonly in women, but many men also suffer from the disorder. You begin forming your perceptions of your body’s attractiveness, health, acceptability, and functionality in early childhood. This body image continues to form as you age and receive feedback from peers, family member, coaches, etc. Personality traits such as perfectionism and self-criticism can also influence the development of a negative internalized image of your body.
Worried about your looks and appearance?
- Do you find yourself always preoccupied with thoughts about your physical appearance?
- Do you look in the mirror very frequently? OR Do you avoid mirrors all the time?
- Do you stress about a physical flaw and focus on how to hide it?
- Do you believe that you are ugly due to one physical feature?
- Do you compare your appearance with others a lot?
- Do you avoid social situations because of the way you look?
Treatments, we provide that can help you: