Substance use disorders occur when the recurrent use of alcohol and/or drugs causes clinically and functionally significant impairment, such as health problems, disability, and failure to meet major responsibilities at work, school, or home. As people age, their bodies become less capable of tolerating addictive substances and more susceptible to negative effects. Adults may turn to addictive substances when coping with the stresses of child-rearing, balancing a career with family and managing a household. New risks for addiction and substance abuse may emerge for individuals in middle age who face financial pressures, divorce, the empty nest, personal or family illness, the economic and emotional stresses of caring for ageing parents or the death of a parent or other loved one. These substances not only lead to addition but may also contribute to psychiatric problems like mood disorders, anxiety disorders, sleep disorders and psychosis. Every persons experience with substance use disorder is unique, so our therapist aims to plan treatment that is tailored to individual needs of the client to ensure maxmimum benefit.
Worried that you / your loved one may be suffering from Substance Use Disorder?
- Have you ever experienced problems in your life from alcohol/drug use?
- Have you ever used more alcohol or drugs than you intended?
- Do you get upset when your supply of alcohol or drugs is cut off or used up?
- Does it take more alcohol or drugs now to get you high than in the past?
- Do you ever justify or rationalize your use of alcohol/drugs?
- Do you wish you wouldn’t use alcohol or drugs or felt guilty about it, but do anyway?
- Have you ever used alcohol/drugs to the point where someone has disapproved of it?
- Do you get irritated when someone wants to discuss your alcohol/drug use?
Treatments, we provide that can help you: